“Chill Pill” Destin – Just what the
6 Bedroom plus Bunk Room – 7.5 bath, sleeps 24 in beds but max of 12 adults
Frequently Asked Questions
- Where exactly is Chill Pill located? — We are in the Crystal Beach area, directly south of the Mid-Bay bridge and Destin Commons, a half-block off the Hutchinson Street beach access. 4488 Ocean View Drive, 32541. See the map here: MAP
- How far to the beach? — We are directly across a one-way-each-way road to the beach. There is a beach access on each side of us – the closest one is 150 steps where we provide the beach chair set-ups (Hutchinson Street Beach Access across from Camille’s restaurant); the other is 200 steps and next to the Inn at Crystal Beach and 790 restaurant. There is food/drinks readily available at each access.
- Does the new Florida law about beaches being private affect us if we book this house? — NO – we have a PUBLIC beach access on each side of us but our chair service provider has a contract with individual home owners to have a right of way and access in front of their homes. Therefore our access as provided by beach chair service is actually PRIVATE. In addition, since we pay for chair service for 6, you will have a FRONT ROW spot right at the water’s edge automatically plus additional space to set up more chairs and equipment – every day of your stay! Seasonal from March through October.
- Is the private pool heated? — YES, for a small fee, you can heat the pool. We control the pool heat with an app on our phone so even if you’re not sure you need pool heat prior to arrival, we can heat it same day and send you a payment link. Our standard pool heat is 87 degrees. If we have an extreme cold snap or heavy rains and low nightly temps in the 30’s or below, there is no guarantee that we can keep the pool at 87 degrees.
- How many does the house sleep and what’s the bedding arrangement? — We sleep 24 in beds with NO sleeper sofas, but like to max out at 12 adults. ALL BEDROOMS HAVE THEIR OWN PRIVATE, ATTACHED FULL BATHROOM. King bedroom #1, #2, #3, and #4 have single King bed; King bedrooms/Family Rooms #5 & #6 have a King bed PLUS a set of twin bunks; Bedroom #7 is a huge 34 X 17 Bunkroom with 8 built-in twin beds, plus its own lounge area with 3 leather couches and a 65″ TV – with a balcony and views of the beach. It’s convenient to have a SECOND lounge area for adults also.
- What about parking? — We can fit up to 6 vehicles but that may depend on the size of each. This maximum of 6 is mandated by the city of Destin so there are no exceptions. If you have multiple SUVs, I would only plan on 5 max. No part of your vehicle can extend into the sidewalk and there is no street parking, per the HOA rules. They are very strict about parking and WILL TOW YOU if you don’t follow the HOA rules, which are attached to the welcome packet on the kitchen counter when you arrive.
- What is in the kitchen or do we need to bring our own kitchen items? — Just bring your groceries! Our kitchen is outfitted just like yours at home with everything you’ll need for a gourmet meal. We have a 6-burner gas cooktop with pot filler; microwave and oven; under-counter ice machine with scoop attached to inside; trash compactor; dishwasher; fridge plus 2nd fridge in laundry room; (2) crock pots; Kitchen-Aid ice-crushing blender; waffle-maker; 4-slot toaster; two different types of coffee makers – Keurig plus a Braun Brew Station; hand mixer; all dishes, glasses, tupperware, cookware including two large boiling pots and non-stick for stovetop, and bakeware, and serveware. We also have basic spices.
- What about paper towels and toilet paper? — We provide a generous amount of starter supplies but you will probably need more of the disposable items if you are staying an entire week or longer. Starter supplies include: All bath towels and linens; All kitchen gadgets and basic spices; a pump soap at each sink; two rolls of toilet paper for each bathroom (16 total); a roll of paper towels; electric dishwasher detergent; dish soap such as Dawn; trash compactor bags; garbage bags for the recycling container; enough laundry detergent for several loads; 2 Cans of Shuffleboard wax – let me know if you run out; extra propane tank for grill is in the shed but PLEASE let me know if you run out so I can get them refilled.
- Is there chair service on the beach? — One of the highlights of our house is the extensive amount of beach equipment we are providing. WE PROVIDE: Complimentary beach chair service for 6 right at the water’s edge (3 double set-ups with umbrellas); 6 bikes and 3 bike locks; Beach kayak and double-ended paddle with life jacket; TWO Stand-Up-Paddleboards with single-ended paddle and carrying shoulder strap; 3 rolling coolers; Rolling beach cart; 6 folding sand chairs; 12 beach towels (wash and dry the night before departure). Additional chair service can be purchased but just remember we provide 6 additional folding sand chairs which should help save you money.
- How does the payment and security deposit work? — We require two payments but installment payments are fine with us too. The first payment is due upon booking and is a down payment that applies to your total due, usually around 20% (negotiable). The second is the final payment and is due 60 days prior to check-in date. The TOTAL DUE includes a $1,000 REFUNDABLE but additional security deposit. For shorter, off-season stays, I may reduce the amount of the refundable security deposit. –The first payment must be by CREDIT CARD. Subsequent payments may be by CC, personal check, or ECheck. We can split payments however needed if you’d like to pay on multiple cards, or by multiple payment methods.
- When will my refundable security deposit be refunded? — Within 5 days from departure date but usually sooner. You will be notified in writing if there are any funds being deducted from your original refundable deposit amount, including for late check out or excessive cleaning fees.
- What time is CHECK-IN and CHECK-OUT? — Check-in is at 4pm and check-out is at 10am sharp. This is a large house with extensive cleaning needs so there will be $200 deducted from your refundable security deposit for EVERY HOUR you are late checking out, pro-rated by quarter-hour increments.
- What if we arrive early? — You are more than welcome to use our private pool, retrieve the beach supplies from the shed, and/or head to the beach while the cleaning crew finishes. You must leave room for the cleaning crew to park and not block them in; you may not enter the house until 4pm unless I have notified you IN WRITING that the house is ready early.
- Can we have a late check-out? Your check-out time will be determined on a case-by-case basis and late check-out is only considered during off-season when it is NOT a same-day turn. If you are staying non-peak times other than Spring Break and Summer, just send me an email and we can discuss. Late check outs and early check ins are always tentative, pending any last-minute bookings.
- Are there grocery stores and shopping nearby? — Within a half-mile you’ll find the DESTIN COMMONS, which has 70+ stores plus over a dozen restaurants, plus Starbucks/ ice cream and sweets shops. There is also an AMC theater with 14 screens. For groceries, you’ll appreciate having a Publix and Whole Foods within a half-mile, plus a Fresh Market about a mile away, then the Super Walmart is exactly 2 miles. Everything at your fingertips! Silver Sands outlet mall is 5 miles east. You can walk to dozens of restaurants from our house, or use the bikes!
- What if I need to cancel? — We do not issue any refunds for cancellations made fewer than 60 days prior to your arrival date, by midnight central time latest – for any reason. If you need to cancel your reservation, please notify us IN WRITING immediately and make sure you receive a reply confirming it from me. ALL cancellations will incur an administrative fee of between 5 – 10% depending on season of rental, and based on total rental charges. If you purchased the Vacation Rental Insurance through HomeAway/VRBO, or on my professional reservation system, contact that company to begin your claim. For questions concerning the travel insurance or to make a claim due to a cancellation, please call the travel insurance company directly. There are NO WEATHER OR BEACH CONDITION REFUNDS as those factors are out of our control. We highly encourage you to purchase the travel insurance we offer – or you can purchase at www.insuremytrip.com/.